Sunday, August 23, 2009

My bmw 320i E46 Mtech was parked for 2mnths, i have had oil service done,doesn't pick up speed

I think I'm probably one of the few people in the world who store my car for really long periods of time.



I have 2 BMWs on opposite sides of the globe, and one always ends up being stored for 3-4 years at a time.



Here's my checklist everytime I put the car for storage:



- Fill up the tank completely and pour in a bottle of STA-BIL



- Put car on jack stands, leaving all 4 wheels off the ground



- Put in as much moisture absorber in the car as possible



- Remove all unnecessary items in the trunk and cabin



- Wash, and wax it really well, let it dry completely.



- Disconnect battery or hook up a trickle or solar charger



- Shut off engine, engage "P" or 1st gear, release hand brake.



- Cover up car with a good quality cover.



When taking the car out of storage:



- Change oil and filter



- Change air filter



- Change spark plugs



- Change coolant/antifreeze



- Change brake fluid



- Check radiator/power steering hoses, change if needed



- Check belts, change if needed



- Install battery



- Add R134a refridgerant



- Run down gas to 1/2 tank and mix with fresh fuel fill-up



- Inflate tire pressures, check for cracks on threads



- Check condition of spare tire, inflate to correct pressure



- Bed-in handbrake and footbrake gently to rub off rust build-up.



As for your problem: Your fuel might have degraded somewhat. Pump in new fuel. Have you ever changed your fuel filter? Try also changing out the spark plugs. You may not need to do all the items in the comprehensive list above. I do it because my car ends up sitting for years at a time.



My bmw 320i E46 Mtech was parked for 2mnths, i have had oil service done,doesn't pick up speed on take off?download



I doubt the problem has anything to do with the oil. If it's automatic tranny, check fluid level. Sounds like you are taking off in 2nd gear. Could be clogged gas line, clogged air filter. It's weird you are not getting an engine light. Could be if you parked it with the emergency brake on, it's stuck. Never store a car with the emergency brake on. Believe it or not, could be a mouse crawled up into the exhaust pipe - I've seen it.

No comments:

Post a Comment