Sunday, August 23, 2009

94 BMW 318is no crank-no start?

I shut the car for five minutes, then I came back to start the again and there's no crank and no start. The car was fine before that, all electical works - horn, lights, cluster, and radio. I tried to jump the car, yet it made no difference. The lights were bright and strong when I started the car. It was complete silent in the engine bay. There's no aftermarker alarm in the car and I have a 94 3-series means there's no chip in the key for the anti-theft mode. I tried to jump the starter directly from the battery - no activity and no sound. I am wondering is it possible the starter to die like that without any sign. The car was fine before the incident. I never had any problem on starting mode;it always has been strong. Please give some advice and testing procedure to determine the problem. thank you.



94 BMW 318is no crank-no start?downloads



Yes, the solonoid on the starter can go out just like that. I dont know if you have any places like pepboys or autozone near you, but if so, take the starter into them, they can do a test. Bad thing is that you have to take it off the car... Its worth it if you troubleshoot and find its nothing else. Check with someones head (safely out of the way) in the engine compartment. If you have a bad solonoid, you should hear a slight tick noise sometimes, but take it out and test it. Hope that helps.



94 BMW 318is no crank-no start?house call



maybe the starter has gone bad?

No comments:

Post a Comment